Wednesday is here and it’s time for another look at you, your ergonomic body and state of mind. I know it’s a lot to go over but we always strive to overachieve.

First up a review of a study that reports on one company cutting overweight and obese employees by almost 9 percent. And no it wasn’t by getting rid of them.

A northeastern based company took part in a study that was written up in the Journal of Public Health. In cooperation with the University of Rochester this company took its 10 sites and divided them into 2 groups. The control group operated the same as they always have regarding cafeteria options, exercise programs, etc.

The other group went through a revamping of the cafeterias with better choices that included fewer calories and smaller portions. They also provided an incentive in the form of free meals for those that chose the healthier selections. Exercise workshops were provided that included group sharing of what worked, walking clubs and other beneficial discussions. The company upgraded exercise facilities and developed group activities like Frisbee golf. All of this being done with the goal of improving wellness in these locations.

The results? After the 2 year study concluded they found that overweight and obesity increased in the control sites by 5 percent and decreased in the revamped sites by 4 percent giving an overall improvement of 9 percent.

So why do we bring this up? Simple, with improved nutrition and exercise the body can get into better shape, something we strongly believe in. And part of this exercise can be simply getting up and moving more during the day and standing while you are working.


And if your company is into helping their associates it may be worthwhile to check out the study to see what you can get implemented at your company.

Next up some more stretching.

As we continue in our routine this week we have 2 new stretches for you to add.

First is the Dead Robot Dance

Deskercise The Dead Robot

Here we want to lean our head forward and slowly roll from side to side. Kind of like the broken bobble head doll after your dog has played with it a little too much.




Second is the Sophomore Headshot

Deskercise The Sophomore Headshot

Gently pull your head toward each shoulder. Similarly the way your chiropractor might work your neck but stopping before you pull it off your shoulders.




Give these a shot this week and add them to the others you’ve been working on this year.

Remember, sit up straight, shoulders back arms relaxed and get up and move every 30-45 minutes at least.

Let us know how this works for you.

Signup for our weekly Ergo Weekly broadcasts at:, you’ll be glad you did.

Matthew Brooks

Matthew has been in the Office Furniture business for over 36 years - that's a long time.

As the owner of Interior Dimension he strives to provide the highest level of service to our clients to keep them truly excited about working with IDI.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy
Consent to display content from Youtube
Consent to display content from Vimeo
Google Maps
Consent to display content from Google
Consent to display content from Spotify
Sound Cloud
Consent to display content from Sound
Cart Overview